What was excellent the first time I made it was pretty bad this time because I changed it too much – partially on purpose, partially by accident.
Here’s what I did this time…
I laid nearly 2lbs of chicken thigh strips in a 4qt casserole, and then poured over the following mixture:
: : 2lbs mild green chiles
: : 1 can diced tomatoes
: : 1/2lb corn
: : 1 can black beans (drained)
: : 1 1/2 cup water
: : 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
: : 1 cup sour cream
: : 2 cups brown rice (not instant)
I covered it with foil and baked it for over two and a half hours (the last half hour uncovered) and the rice still wasn’t fully done.
What happened was it didn’t occur to me until I was making the mixture that I’d used way too much chiles. I had forgotten I’d only used one cup before and this was more like three or four, maybe more.
I was prepared for some difference because I was adding the corn and beans this time. But this was too much variance from the original recipe. I added more sour cream but only had one can of CofC.
It turned out too liquidy, not creamy at all. Blah. It wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t nearly as good as before and the texture wasn’t there. Oh, and it filled up the casserole and overflowed it a bit as it cooked. I suspected this might happen so I had a cookie sheet under it.
Btw, the other changes like increased rice and chicken was to try to make up for all the accidental extra chile.