- RT @RRObserver: Red-light cameras stay until Dec. ‘15 http://t.co/cKkEVjDJ3f 07:51:19, 2014-08-17
- AMEN!! The intended ends in no way justify the shoddy means! – – The Problem with Christian Films http://t.co/0BJGodxFhc 18:30:56, 2014-08-17
- RT @GoogleFacts: A greetings card that can play ‘Happy Birthday’ has more computing power than existed in the whole world in 1950 04:37:28, 2014-08-18
- RT @mygospelfriends: Even in the church, many hide suffering behind a mask. Drop the mask. Be real. Encourage & be encouraged Eph. 4:25 ht… 05:14:00, 2014-08-18
- Today is two years we’ve lived in our dream house :)
And Wesley begins 2nd grade today. 06:29:06, 2014-08-18
- Wesley’s first day of second grade: http://t.co/isM5FGfgLz via @YouTube 09:40:55, 2014-08-18
- Wesley ready for the first day of second grade: http://t.co/9X5o8FJlp4 09:44:50, 2014-08-18
- Went to the bank to do some business, ended up having a great chat with the guy about depressing movies, trading recommendations. 12:27:52, 2014-08-18
- Today is the birthdays of both Gene Roddenberry and Philo Farnsworth. #StarTrek #Warehouse13 08:19:13, 2014-08-19
- Saw myself in a video from two years ago yesterday. I’ve, uh, gained some weight. So this morning I’m out on my bike playing Ingress. 09:02:11, 2014-08-19
- I love that Ingress can sort of be played by sound. I ride my bike around with headphones on and can hear a nearby portal humming. 08:55:10, 2014-08-20
- For those who don’t know what Ingress is… http://t.co/dMMQyG6unp Sort of a video game you play out in the real world on your phone. 09:50:31, 2014-08-20
- RT @vudufans: #TBT to the Laser Disc. When the closest thing to HD video came on a disc the size of Tron’s. http://t.co/jaggg791eQ/s/0qHP 12:26:00, 2014-08-21
- @vudufans I was there! Recently parted with almost 400 of them and only held onto a few treasures. Signed Criterion Boogie Nights FTW :) in reply to vudufans 12:38:32, 2014-08-21
- Ordering Chinese food stresses me the heck out. 17:30:05, 2014-08-21
- RT @carolJhedges: Reasons for Admittance to a Victorian Asylum ( in case you missed it yesterday). I’m in. http://t.co/HNtdMPyksN 06:56:24, 2014-08-22
- RT @OnePerfectShot: DARK CITY (1998) Director of Photography: Dariusz Wolski | Director: Alex Proyas http://t.co/R4yObcmCAp 07:00:54, 2014-08-22
- RT @BreakingABQNews: #ABQ is #8 on list of Best U.S. Big Cities for Active Families http://t.co/ZuFpibKBjg via @ABQNewsCastic 07:17:02, 2014-08-22
- Spent all morning setting up Terra’s old phone for Wesley. This is his second. WiFi only but he likes to take pics and share them, etc. 13:52:43, 2014-08-22
- I always say “There’s no such thing as a pure upgrade. You always lose something.” And that’s so true of Android KitKat. 08:34:17, 2014-08-10
- Loving my new phone’s remote control app. Wesley is playing a game in the living room and can’t figure out why the TV keeps turning off :D 11:52:40, 2014-08-10
- RT @GoogleFacts: Sleep debt is the effect of not getting enough sleep. It causes mental, emotional, and physical fatigue. 13:03:20, 2014-08-10
- HA!! RT @weeklyalibi: With green chile season right around the corner, don’t get caught up in the #hatch #hype. http://t.co/bKcKGqG5GS 13:08:50, 2014-08-10
- I changed my Hangouts video call ring tone to sound like the Farnsworth from Warehouse 13 :) #scifinerd 14:09:40, 2014-08-11
- RT @RationalWiki: If you “like” *everything* on Facebook your feed will become brands, clickbait and right-wingnut politics. No humans. htt… 09:12:00, 2014-08-12
- Like last year, the final week of summer break, Wesley gets to do what he wants all day everyday. So, he’s Pokémon’ing & watching Dr. Who. 13:11:24, 2014-08-12
- Doctor Hoo and Christmas Blessings http://t.co/lAF728JJ9I 13:26:02, 2014-08-12
- RT @planetepics: Mammatus Clouds, one of the rarest weather phenomena.. http://t.co/f1HsN24r1A 20:54:17, 2014-08-12
- RT @TheKnowledge: Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than silence. – Arabic Proverb 06:04:42, 2014-08-13
- Great. The water is out on my biggest work day. At least the washing machine got done. I see them tearing up the street nearby. #riorancho 11:51:20, 2014-08-13
- RT @jessmathews: What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. ~ Henry David Thoreau 14:43:07, 2014-08-13
- RT @OnePerfectShot: THE BLACK HOLE (1979) Director of Photography: Frank V. Phillips | Director: Gary Nelson http://t.co/nVKp4kmZad 04:44:05, 2014-08-14
- Vape/Vaping Added to Oxford Dictionaries http://t.co/4oTPNB699C 04:52:45, 2014-08-14
- RT @halloweenradio: Halloween wraps fear in innocence, as though it were a slightly sour sweet. Let terror, then, be turned into a treat! #… 04:53:40, 2014-08-14
- Roger Ebert’s Most Hated Films http://t.co/5aCIihR3L2 13:31:42, 2014-08-14
- Terra and I, sprawled across the couch, blowing clouds, watching Doctor Who on Netflix. (Last episode of s2, btw. There may be tears.) 19:33:24, 2014-08-14
- Everyone knows the best bowl of cereal is the one eaten alone in the middle of the night, standing in a dimly lit kitchen. 22:19:10, 2014-08-14
- RT @OnePerfectShot: Released 27yrs ago today: THE MONSTER SQUAD (1987) DoP: Bradford May | Dir: Fred Dekker http://t.co/f11EnWPsw6 05:49:53, 2014-08-15
- Halloween fanatics mobilize! Dollar Tree has cool Halloween village stuff! https://t.co/H0VhNEpNZ5 08:35:25, 2014-08-15
And life hasn’t been quite the same since.
Had an awesome time at Jason and Andy’s on Sunday. He made shish kebabs and she made cheese quesadillas for Wesley and Faith. Then they played in their little pool while we hung out and chatted around the back patio table.
Monday night, we tried Five Guys Burgers for dinner. Meh. It was OK. Way too messy. Next time, I’ll skip the mushrooms and grilled onions and maybe it’ll hold together better. Wesley made a huge mess of his. But, Terra loved it.
We slowly are building up our bicycle riding legs. And, uh, breaking in our, uh, seats. If ya know what I mean.
I am having all kinds of issues with the apps from both MapMyRide and Strava. GPS issues, specifically. It seems to need a reliable phone signal – not just GPS signal. It keeps showing my original position correctly and then – when our cell coverage gets iffy, which does happen all over our neighborhood – it says it has a GPS connection but still shows me at my starting point or to the point where I lost cell signal.
Very annoying – I’m losing a lot of workout data.
I have had very very mild allergies the last week and Wednesday it became a little more than mild. I guess something got in my left ear. It was ringing the second half of the day and then some roaring.
Yesterday, when I woke up, the roaring was so bad I was wincing during our morning devotions. By the time I was getting Wesley ready for school, I couldn’t hardly hear through it. Took some Sudafed and it went back down to ringing but I also had very annoying vertigo all day.
Last night, at bedtime, Terra suggested I take an allergy pill. Yeah, that did it. In fact, it worked too fast – the vertigo kept getting worse and eventually I was laying there, nauseous and sweaty like I had food poisoning or a hangover. Didn’t get to sleep for a long time – it was after 10 – then the alarm went off at 345. Maybe I’ll have a nap.
Anyway, today it seems to be mostly gone. Still some ringing but that’s it.
Oh, and I moved the bar back to its original location. It sucks when guests are here in the cafe and I’m in the the far corner of the kitchen when making drinks. No matter how pretty it is, it’s just not the same as being there in the conversation.
Yeah, it ain’t pretty – more like that mad scientist or workshop look. But I knew it would. At least I’m there, a part of the cafe again.
The frame on the wall is gonna have pics of previous incarnations of the bar as soon as I get the prints made. Monday, I hope.
Speaking of the home cafe, Mark Mason came for his usual Friday morning coffee and we’re almost out of espresso beans so I made him siphon coffee on the stove. It’s his first time to witness siphon coffee so that was cool.
Finally got Terra her own Phoenix RDA. I built her a custom EkoWool microcoil (came out to 1.8 and she prefers in the 2.4 range, oops) and added her favorite pink drip tip and she tried it the first time last night and seems to like it more than she thought she would. She’s been pretty much exclusively on Protanks for a month, maybe closer to two. Anyway, I hope she keeps trying it. It’s pretty much all I use, except for my Phoenix v4 for my after dinner cinnamon vape.
Have I mentioned that the group Terra goes to every Monday night is now doing a study of The Screwtape Letters? It was my idea :)
In October, I’m gonna start the church’s Self-Confrontation class on Tuesday evenings. I’ve taken it before, a few years ago, was even offered to teach it at one point. But, I’m desperate for some kind of class to go to. Besides, it’s a great class and hopefully will open some further opportunities for me. Get me back on the radar screen, at least.
It’s been gorgeous this morning. 1030am, all doors open, 77 degrees inside with occasional wisp of cool air. Nag Champa burning on the front porch, the scent wafting gently in, diluted with fresh air.
Wesley requested to try his hand at Final Fantasy XII – a favorite of mine. I’m about 130hrs in. Over a 4 and a half year period, though. Anyway, he did ok as long as I was there to read things to him. I figure he might be able to play it if he just optimizes equipment from time to time, sells loot, fights manually (gambits off – he can’t grasp that whole system), and has some guidance and assistance (e.g. manage the license grid for him) available.
And, get this – I found Re-Volt for my (Android) phone. Again, my favorite racing game ever. I downloaded the free version and I’ll give it a try. I don’t really play games on my phone. I have a GBA emulator I use to play Final Fantasy VI but that’s pretty much it. And I can’t imagine a racing game will work well on a phone. But we’ll see.
I predict a good week. Tomorrow, church and probably have the Masons for coffee after. Then PSO SPN :)
Hopefully Monday, I want to get to Vapor Rio – a vape shop very close to us. We went in when they first opened and weren’t impressed (selection, prices) but we keep hearing good things about their flavors, so we’re gonna give them another look.
As I feared, a 3.7V batt run at 6V doesn’t last long. Like 5-6 hours. So, I need a second 18650. Or a couple 18350s – that would be better. I run two RCR123As in my Prodigy – between 3-3.2V each – and they last me most of a day.
Tomorrow, I’m gonna go hit the battery shop and see what I come up with. I’ve had to use my Prodigy half of today and that’s unacceptable.
Anyway, in other news, Wesley has pink eye. Welcome to being a parent, I suppose.
And, I made mexi-fish tonight but didn’t use the pico de gallo I usually get from Walmart. I made something myself with tomatoes, onion, cukes, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. It was pretty great, we all thought.
Btw, as you can tell from the picture, daylight saving time is a beeyotch. It’s ruining the ambience of our 6pm candlelit dinners. Sigh. Time to think up a new dinner table centerpiece.
After dinner, it was homework time for Wesley and Terra while I cleaned the kitchen, then played Final Fantasy VI Advance. On a GBA emulator on my Android phone. It’s my first time playing it and I think it’s pretty great. I’m not much for pre-9 FF – haven’t enjoyed (and therefore quit playing after only a few hours) 3, 5, 7, or 8. But I’m loving 6 so far.
Btw, I am a slobbering fan of 9, 12, and Tactics. 10 was meh and I quit after 20 hours or so, 13 was very meh so I made it about as far.
Anyway, Wesley also played what we’re deeming “thinking games” on the PS3 as part of his homework time again – the experiment continues.
The night ended with all of us listening to a Jungle Jam episode followed by The Leviathan Chronicles 1.10. We were loving Leviathan Chronicles until 1.08 when all this stuff that happened hundreds of years ago started. 10 wasn’t so bad, though, and we’re glad to be back in modern day to the story we signed up for.
So, my schedule was a little off. I don’t like non-school days.
It was a heavy conversation day. The best part of marriage is you never have to face anything alone ever again. Even personal demons. It’s a beautiful thing.
After all many things, we’ve decided the cats win – we’re getting a litter box tomorrow. It will be kept outside and it will be Wesley’s job to clean it. See, we have all rocks in our yard and the kitties won’t do their business outside. Defeat sucks but what they’ve done to the carpet, two rugs, Wesley’s bed, Wesley’s backpack, and my leather couch (!) sucks worse.
Made a new revision of the mexi-chicken rice bake thing and it was really good. Remind me to post the new recipe.
Terra and I listened to Wormwood 1.05-06 and Second Shift 1.08, which was an incredible episode. 07 was not and I was a little nervous – I’ve been loving this show more than any other and I’m waiting for it to stall out so I am thrilled 08 was great and even brought in a new subplot.
Oh, and we watched Walking Dead 3.10. The Andrea situation is REALLY stretching credulity with us. But we’re far from giving up on the show.
And I am attempting a return to Achaea. Blowtorch on my phone. Dunno if it will work or not.
I’ve been using Swype on my phone for a a month and a half now and like it but I can’t type as fast and sometimes lately it’s been auto-completing really weird words. So, I’m finally trying something new – the very popular SwiftKey. So far, the I like it but, of course, it also has its own weird quirks. But I think I can get used to them. And it is very pretty when you get around with the settings.
Here’s what I’m seeing as I’m typing this…
I had guests and just wow…
I’ll let the video take it from here…
Well, two days of getting up at 430 sucked but it’s over now. Though, in a surprising turn of events, she starts her new schedule TOMORROW! She works 2p-10p the next three days then two days off then starts the usual four on, two off.
Here we go.
I have been curious about different voices for my phone. See, I have all incoming texts read aloud to me as they hit my phone. (I have a few Twitter accounts and most of my Facebook friends set to deliver status updates via sms – this is 90% of the many texts I get each day.) I downloaded a ghostly voice just in time for Halloween.
Speaking of Halloween, it’s getting even closer now and I keep mentioning that I got all 44 episodes of Freddy’s Nightmares but I think I’ve yet to mention that I also got 16 (almost all) of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes as well. This is going to be a great Halloween month.
Need to get the decorations out of storage, though.
We all watched The Incredibles on bluray tonight. Oh, how I love that one. I love most of the Pixar films but this one is just so unique. Their most mature offering by far. No cutesy characters, slapstick bumbling, or any of that sort of thing. I love the argument between husband and wife, for instance, and the deeper themes and darker moments. As well as the obvious very non-Disney stuff like how many people die, a torture scene, lots of violence, a man gripping the throat of a woman – even the very presence of guns. And it’s hard not to see what happens in the final moments as an assassination. A threat is made ensuring an ongoing danger and that threat is responded to with an execution to ensure against any further danger.
This one goes with Wall-E and Ratatouille but is above even them in that it’s made for adults with recognition that kids will watch but it doesn’t cater to kids. If they like it, great. But if not, that’s ok – it’s not made for them.
I had the count way off in yesterday’s recap – it is only 15 days to balloon fiesta! Terra’s new schedule will prohibit our attendance of the first weekend but the second should be no problem. Better still, we’ll have money by then. We’re between paychecks since she’s transitioning jobs and things aren’t good right now. But, all that – what is now a year of struggling – will be over soon! :)
There’s a 430 AM now?!!
We found out there is because that’s when we had to get up this morning. Today and tomorrow she goes in at 6am. Blah.
She has reason to believe she will start her real schedule (2p-10p, 4 on, 2 off) on Saturday. Then, the next chapter of our life begins for real.
As Wesley was watching balloons this morning, he called to me in the cafe room “Uh, Daisopher?” – I went and looked and there’s a dead mouse on the living room floor!! Presumably the work of Christmas Kitty.
I have now acquired all 44 episodes of Freddy’s Nightmares and they’re on the PS3, ready for Halloween month :)
I dramatically changed the coffee bar today…
It makes a lot more sense now and even looks a lot better if you ask me. After very little sleep, a protein shake, and a shot of espresso, I found myself very motivated and kinda’ obsessive. I actually had it done before Wesley got up for school!
I also got caught up on laundry and detail cleaned both bathrooms. Everything was done when she got home at 2. A very productive day.
While I worked, I listened to The Hollywood Saloon podcast (a long-time favorite of mine) episode about Thor, which we recently watched. (Even though it’s not my kind of movie – see my ‘films I can’t live without’ sidebar.) They said a lot of what I thought about it.
Found out (after I paid for the full version, natch) that gTasks fails to repeat recurring to-do’s properly so I’ve switched to GTO, which I’d tried before but didn’t like as much. But, it does recurring tasks correctly so, meh. I live by my Pure Calendar widget so I have to use a to-do app that it supports.
I created many household tasks and set repeats for varying intervals so, it should present me with my house keeping list every morning rather than me sitting down in the morning and making my list for the day, which is the way I’ve done it for years. If the usual maintenance stuff can just pop up on my day planner automagically, I can just do what it says and add any one-off tasks as needed. Less to think about first thing in the morning that way :P
After dinner, we had a little time to kill before bed (didn’t go to home fellowship – 8pm bedtime tonight) so we watched some YouTube. Started with coffee videos but Terra has somehow never seen (or even heard of!) cinnamon challenge videos so I introduced her to them. We had a half hour or so of riotous laughter before bedtime.
It’s something like ten days until Halloween month starts and twenty-ish until Balloon Fiesta..